Below are the answers to common questions people and their loved ones ask when considering ATS for programs and services. If your question isn’t addressed here or elsewhere on the website, please contact us !


Can I have visitors?

During your stay, we encourage family and friend involvement! Therapists approve and schedule times for visiting and family/friend participation. Clients can have up to five visitors at a time. 

Can I pay cash?

Yes. For various reasons, many of our clients pay for services out of pocket. Sometimes they don’t want to engage their employers or insurance providers. Sometimes we can’t accept their insurance but they still want to come to our agency. Sometimes they don’t have insurance. In these cases, people do pay for services with cash, check or credit card.  Please call us to explore your options.

Do you take my insurance?

Currently we accept Priority Health, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, and Medicaid, which includes the Healthy Michigan Plan. (Please see Healthy Michigan Plan information at the bottom of this page.) Additionally, we are actively working on adding our agency to other insurance panels. Please give us a call to inquire about your specific plan, and we may be able to work with you.

How can I get funding if I don't have insurance?

There are many ways to access our services. We can help you get registered on the health exchange to determine what you qualify for. For more information or assistance, please contact our Access Center for details: (231) 346–5216.

How long are your programs?

Our residential programs average about twenty-eight days. But we offer multiple levels of care, and the exact lengths of services are based on the individual needs of clients.

How many beds do your facilities have?

Dakoske Hall (the men’s residential program facility) has twenty-eight beds. Phoenix Hall (our women’s program facility) has twelve beds. The detox unit, the P.I.E.R., has fifteen beds. Most rooms are set up for double occupancy.

How much do your services cost?

Addiction Treatment Services continues to be one of the most affordable treatment centers in the state of Michigan. We accept several forms of payment, and many individuals have access to state funding that covers the cost of services. Learn more about funding and health insurance in the answers below.

What can I bring with me?

When you are admitted, please bring:

  • If you take medications a thirty (30) day supply is required. For detox, seven (7) days is required. Medications must be in their original container and not a weekly planner. If you do not have a thirty (30) day supply, a script, or refill on the bottle, we CANNOT admit you.

  • If you are prescribed a narcotic, you must have a letter from your doctor acknowledging that they are aware you are in a treatment program. You may sign a release upon arrival, however,  a call will be made to your doctor.

  • Seven days worth of clothing.  Short-term residential admits will be doing laundry once a week, and do not need laundry soap unless you have special allergies to soaps/scents. We ask that you do not bring any more than a week’s worth since we have limited space in the rooms. All items should fit into one (1) bag.

  • You may bring tank tops. Bring comfortable shoes and shower shoes, if desired.  No revealing clothing. No clothing with obscenities or clothing advertising alcohol and/or drugs. Please bring seasonally appropriate clothing: i.e. winter coat or bathing suit in the summer.

  • 1 - 2 bath towels and personal hygiene items: soap, shampoo, toothpaste/brush, razors, etc. If the product has alcohol as an ingredient, do not bring it.  No aerosol cans.  No scented perfumes, lotions, etc.

  • Cigarettes, chew, tobacco, and vape products are allowed with some restrictions.  We recommend a little more than you smoke daily.  

  • Reasonable amount of spending money, if desired, (cigarettes, pop machine, stamps) for short-term residents only. Detox clients will not be leaving the facility.

  • If you have income, proof of income is required in the form of paycheck stub, tax form(s), bank statement, or other forms that show income.

  • Identification is required if available. For detox, please provide a list of phone numbers you may need as you will not have access to your phone.

  • Radios, CD players, MP3 players exclusively in bedrooms with headphones are allowed wiith clinical permission only.

  • Please do not bring:

  1. Drugs, alcohol or drug paraphernalia

  2. Photo or recording devices or electronic devices with web access capability

  3. Weapons

  4. Candy, pop, snacks

What do I need to know about the Healthy Michigan Plan?

The Healthy Michigan Plan includes the following health care benefits:

—Emergency services


—Maternity care

—Mental health and substance abuse services

—Prescription drugs

—And more


If you’re interested in applying for the Healthy Michigan Plan, you should have the following information ready:

—Social Security Number (SSN) for self, spouse, dependents and/or anyone who lives in the household

—Income information for self, spouse, dependents and/or anyone who lives in the household. Income includes employment, unemployment, social security, disability, etc.

—Information about any present insurance policy (including policy number) that you and/or anyone in the family/household is on. If an individual has insurance that is expiring soon, it is still important to report the insurance.

—If you are a student with loans, you’ll need to report how much is owed on the loans, how much and the frequency at which money is borrowed, and whether payments are being made on the loans.


Additional information, including a full list of benefits and the list of co-pays required for each service, can be found at

What is your treatment model?

ATS is proud to say that we are one of the most innovative treatment centers in the state. We are trauma informed at all levels of the agency. We have worked hard to implement curriculum that is evidence-based and peer-reviewed. These best-practice strategies ensure that the agency remains on the cutting edge of addictions research. Read more about evidence-based care and our services.

What sorts of addictions do you treat at ATS?

ATS residential programs are specific to substance use disorders and people with co-occurring disorders. Outpatient services address substance use, co-occuring disorders, behavioral health (including gambling addiction) and trauma counseling. Both residential and outpatient services encourage a wellness-based approach that treats the whole person, so treatment can  vary from person to person.